Thursday, January 3, 2013

Learning Photography Basics: Aperture


I'm not a photographer. I am but a fan of photography. I love taking pictures and I love being photographed.
Memories that would last a lifetime . . . life's milestones that would need to be captured . . . 
these realities interest me.


I'm a first timer for a DSLR camera. For me and my boyfriend - the owner of the camera, this is big time!
We have been using an ordinary - basic digital camera for preserving momentous events in our lives.


I am actually having a hard time with all these dials and technical terms: 
the  Aperture,  ISO,  Shutter Speed, etc.


So I end up Googling and YouTubing to learn the basics.


Well, it's not as easy as 1,2,3 nor A,B,C, yet if you focus, listen, and watch for every single detail the net is showing you, you'll learn - a lot!


My first lesson is Aperture. Aperture either adds a dimension to a photograph by blurring the background or magically brings everything in focus.



In this photograph, the focus is the "Cat", so all the details in the background are blurred.


I have tried experimenting and practicing what I have learned using Manual Mode so I can adjust Aperture settings manually.



In photography, aperture is expressed in f-numbers (for example f/5.6). 

These f-numbers that are known as“f-stops”. 

This is a way of describing the size of the aperture, or how open or closed the aperture is. 

A smaller f-stop means a larger aperture, while a larger f-stop means a smaller aperture. 


For example, f/1.4 is larger than f/2.0 and much larger than f/8.0.



As I was switching dials for experimenting, I have discovered this on the camera ( which I do not know yet since it's new and I'm still learning), the Creative Auto Mode  which sets the camera as to standard, vivid, warm, intense,soft, cool, brighter, darker, and monochrome texture.

These are the several test shots. Lol.























There is always a joy in discovery and learning,
especially in discovering and learning on your own.

Next lesson,  ISO!

No comments:

Post a Comment